Since 1993, the
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) has defined the type of information that public bodies in British Columbia can collect or control. The Act also defines the rights individuals and corporations have in regard to privacy, such as the right to access public records and the right of protection of privacy of personal information in the control of a public body.
The Act provides two basic rights for members of the public:
- the right to access information in government records
- the right to have personal information protected from unauthorized collection, use and disclosure
The Act is intended to be an avenue of last resort. It is to be used when the information is not available through normal access procedures.
Metro Vancouver has enacted the following Freedom of Information Bylaws/Resolutions for the administration of the FOIPPA within the Metro Vancouver Regional District (MVRD), Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation (MVHC), Greater Vancouver Water District (GVWD) and Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District (GVS&DD).
- Metro Vancouver Regional District Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 1284, 2019
- Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation Freedom of Information Resolution
- Greater Vancouver Water District Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 251, 2019
- Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District Freedom of Information Bylaw No. 324, 2019
To view the above bylaws and resolution, and any amendments, visit the
Submitting a Request
A request to access records under the Act must be made in writing. If you would like to make a request for records, specify what records you want to access (please give as much detail as possible), and submit to the following address:
ATTENTION: Information and Privacy Officer
Burnaby BC V5H 0C6
Alternatively, please submit your request via email to